Here’s a review of a couple of song demos I did for a recent client.
I love her songs and I love working with her!
As an amateur songwriter, I needed a musician to help me produce demos, and fortunately met Marc. As much as he is a true musician, he is also warm, gentle and patient. He guided me through the entire process, making creative and practical suggestions where needed. As much as I appreciated his 3d-sound perception, I appreciated his honest recommendations as to what works, and what doesn’t. He transformed a process that was unknown, seemingly impossible and quite intimidating into a meaningful, doable and FUN experience for me! All I can say is, thank you!
var hupso_services_t=new Array(“Twitter”,”Facebook”,”Google Plus”,”Linkedin”,”StumbleUpon”,”Digg”,”Reddit”,”Bebo”,”Delicious”); var hupso_toolbar_size_t=”medium”;var hupso_url_t=”http://www.marcbosserman.com/2013/04/14/song-demos-another-product-i-get-as-an-la-pianist/”;var hupso_title_t=”Song Demos-Another Product I Get – As an LA Pianist!!”;
I was writing the past blog post and then I thought no, this is great top 10 list post!
So here goes!
These are the Top 10 reasons why Los Angeles Rocks for piano players!!
1) more Gigs!!! There are 18 million people in the LA metropolitan area and that means among other things…more gigs! Let’s face it 18 million people go through a lot of music!
2) Highly Cultured- more artists is Los Angeles than any other city ever! That means more love for the musicians who are lucky enough to be here and it means that there is a lot of art which makes it really higher expectations it sort of pushes you to stay on the cutting edge…okay,it also means everyone wants their kids to play music. Hence..music lessons are needed!
3) Film industry–got soundtracks? This means that there are more movies but, also a lot of movies that are trying to rise to the top in the pool which means more work for composers like myself!
4) Southern CA! Ever set up your gear in freezing cold weather ? Enough said!
5) Uber cool People and Celebrities deluxe! I think I get to meet more celebrities In a month than most people might meet in a lifetime! Yes I’ve played for and/or met….Drew Barrymore, Bonnie Raitt, Tom Jones, Isaac Hayes, Cameron Diaz, Chick Corea, Bart Simpson, Foster the People…etc…and people you don’t know their name but…how about the guy I met at my gig on Friday who plays guitar on Dancing With the Stars? Greg Poree! Amazing dude, and he may well come down and jam with me some Friday.
6) Diversity! There are all kinds of different cultures based here there tends to be some very cool mixes of styles and events etc..I’ve played at [...]
Sometimes I wonder if my “job” will ever start seeming like a job.
I doubt it.
In the first place. I mean,I get to play the piano and sing and entertain people for a living.
I loved what jazz pianist Chick Corea said when he got his latest Grammy earlier this year.It was something to the effect of:
As musicians we share this…we all make the world a more beautiful place to live in.
I love that. It’s what I’ve always wanted to do.
And, another point: variety!
No gig one day to the next is ever the same.
I happen to play at different venues every day. And even my regular gigs are never the same.
There are always different people and people are in different moods and I’m always learning something new. New songs, new stuff to try out on the piano etc…
And Los Angeles is just awesome. There are so many cool people and so many venues and events it’s a dream to work in this city.
And then there’s:
Interaction. No interaction is ever the same. It’s just different to play ” Leaving on a Jet Plane” for an 8 year old or an child of the 60s. It’s just not the same.
No wedding will ever be..just another wedding…just like no birthday even of the same person is the same.
So, that’s the fun part of it. What is right for today? What’s right for this couples wedding?
And I’m afraid that’s just never going to be anything but fun!! : )
Another thing that’s just cool about LA is..personalities. Man, there are cool people in Los Angeles .
I’ve heard there are more artists living in this city than have ever lived in in any city in the history [...]
Good luck finding The Varnish.
It’s a speakeasy. If you don’t know where it is you might never find it.
(It’s in the back of Cole’s- look for the door with the cocktail glass and open)
For the past 4 years it’s been my pleasure to play piano there on Tues nights.830-1230
This is a jazz room and that’s one of the very fun things about it for me.
There are no pop tunes at The Varnish it’s strictly stride piano, ragtime, and various forms of jazz.
Monk is ok, Coltrane yes, Brubeck, yes! : )
And one of the best Tuesdays is the last one of the month because it’s TRIO night.
I am joined by a drummer and a bad player and we let it rip!
Come on down and check it out! : )
var hupso_services_t=new Array(“Twitter”,”Facebook”,”Google Plus”,”Linkedin”,”StumbleUpon”,”Digg”,”Reddit”,”Bebo”,”Delicious”); var hupso_toolbar_size_t=”medium”;var hupso_url_t=”http://www.marcbosserman.com/2013/02/10/the-varnish-in-downtown-los-angeles-tues-belongs-to-mr-pianist/”;var hupso_title_t=”The Varnish in Downtown Los Angeles – Tues belongs to Mr Pianist!!”;
2012 was quite a year. I ended up doing upwards of 250 gigs.
In December alone I think I played for about 5 different weddings.
I played up to 10 gigs weekly and everything from Hollywood parties, annual board meetings, the fabulous Parkway Grill, the hip Varnish downtown Los Angeles ,The Left Coast Wine Bar in Glendale.
And many more awesome venues and for amazingly cool people everywhere I went.
The only thing that could be better would be 2013!
I’m really looking forward!
You can get the gig schedule for up coming gigs here.
var hupso_services_t=new Array(“Twitter”,”Facebook”,”Google Plus”,”Linkedin”,”StumbleUpon”,”Digg”,”Reddit”,”Bebo”,”Delicious”); var hupso_toolbar_size_t=”medium”;var hupso_url_t=”http://www.marcbosserman.com/2013/02/10/this-pianist-was-all-over-los-angeles-in-one-amazing-year/”;var hupso_title_t=”This Pianist was all over Los Angeles in One Amazing Year!!”;